To strengthen the conservation of mangrove ecosystems, the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) and the National Forestry and Grassland Administration (NFGA) formulated the special action plan for mangrove protection and restoration (2020-2025).
The plan mandates activities in seven key areas:
● Implementing the overall protection of mangroves. Priority will be given to the protection of mangrove ecosystems and the supervision of mangrove land use.
● Strengthening the management of mangrove nature reserves.
● Implementing the afforestation and restoration plan. By 2025, current mangrove forests shall be restored and 9050 hectares of mangroves shall be planted. The supply of mangrove seedlings shall be ensured. Additional key tasks will include pest control and the protection of rare and endangered mangrove species.
● Conducting research regarding mangrove forest conservation and restoration.
● Enhancing the monitoring of mangrove forest ecosystems and the assessment of mangrove forest restoration.
● Enacting laws regarding mangrove forest conservation and restoration