27 Government departments jointly combat illegal wildlife trade in China
The 3rd inter-ministerial joint meeting on combating illegal wildlife trade was held on 30 July 2020 in Beijing, with 27 member units exchanging opinions on combating illegal wildlife trade.
At the meeting, member units agreed to fulfill 35 tasks in the second half of the year. Major tasks will be:
· Compensating wildlife breeders following China's ban on eating and trading wild animals due to the novel coronavirus outbreak
· Guiding the public to protect wildlife, boycott illegally traded wildlife products and eliminating the habit of eating wild animals
· Facilitating the revision of the Wild Animal Protection Law and the Animal Epidemic Prevention Law
· Strengthening the monitoring of online illegal wildlife trade
· Providing trainings regarding combating illegal wildlife trade for relevant personnel
· Establishing a wildlife case reporting platform and mechanism for wildlife protection
· Strengthening the international cooperation on combating illegal wildlife trade
During the meeting, 6 departments, including the National Forestry and Grassland Administration, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs, the Committee of Political and Legal Affairs of the CPC Central Committee, the Ministry of Public Security, the State Administration for Market Regulation and Cyberspace Administration of China, have jointly launched a special action to crack down on activities that harm wildlife resources. The action intends to harshly crack down on wildlife crimes by clearing illegal wildlife markets and strengthening field patrols. The special action will continue until 31 December 2020.
For more information, please see